Re: Random timing results with 'fsolve'

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: Random timing results with 'fsolve'
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:49:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Oct 12, 2011, at 09:41 AM, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi All

I am currently using 'fsolve' to solve a non-linear set of equations,
for which it works great. However, when I try to determine the running
time of the algorithm I get rather different results. I tried

for idx = 1:10
tic, [a1, b1] = fsolve (g, x, struct ("Jacobian", "off")); tid (idx)
= toc;
endfor

i.e. run the solver ten times with the same input and store running
times. After this I see

octave:313> max (tid_off) / min (tid_off)
ans = 4.2706

Does anybody know why I see so large differences in the timing results?

Søren

Is the first iteration much slower than the rest?

Perhaps parsing the code is much slower than actually minimizing the objective?

Ben