Random timing results with 'fsolve'

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Random timing results with 'fsolve'
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:41:28 +0200

Hi All

I am currently using 'fsolve' to solve a non-linear set of equations,
for which it works great. However, when I try to determine the running
time of the algorithm I get rather different results. I tried

  for idx = 1:10
    tic, [a1, b1] = fsolve (g, x, struct ("Jacobian", "off")); tid (idx)
= toc;
  endfor

i.e. run the solver ten times with the same input and store running
times. After this I see

  octave:313> max (tid_off) / min (tid_off)
  ans =  4.2706

Does anybody know why I see so large differences in the timing results?

Søren