Re: change position of x-axis

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: change position of x-axis
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:21:48 +0200

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM, bpabbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>>> Ben,
>>> please add the line
>>>
>>> set (gca, "box", "off")
>>>
>>> to see the remainding of the axis. This problem is even in the plot
>>> "polar" when the box is switched off.
>>
>> Indeed,
>> I posted this issue it in the help mailing list a few days ago
>>
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Axis-issue-td3887910.html
>>

>> This may be a feature of gnuplot.
>> If you'd like to experiment with gnuplot to see if the horizontal line at
>> the bottom can be suppressed, you can save the gnuplot plotstream by ...
>> drawnow ("png", "debug.png", false, "debug.gp")
>> Then run gnuplot and type ...
>> load "debug.gp"
>> Each time you load "debug.gp" the file "debug.png" will be saved. You can
>> try modifying the gnuplot commands in gnuplot.gp to get the desired result.
>> If you're successful, I should be able to modify Octave's sources to fix
>> this.
>> Ben
>>

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for that. I am doing what you suggested, but I get binary code
> or something like that in debug.gp. How do you edit this files?
>
> --
> M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
> -----
> PhD Student
> University of Zürich
> http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Ben,
Ok, I found the problem.
As I see it, when set(gca,'box','off') is executed, the stream to gnuplot adds
> unset y2tics; set ytics in nomirror
> unset x2tics; set xtics in nomirror
> set border 3;

The last line is the problem. With this I see that box off in octave
means "axes in the left-botom margins".

I see three possible solutions:
1. Make set(gca,'box','off') deal with the current state of axis.
2. Make set(gca,'box','off') be gnuplot's "unset border"
3. Make set(gca,'yaxislocation','zero') be gnuplot's "set yzeroaxis;
set border 1; "
    Make set(gca,'xaxislocation','zero') be gnuplot's "set xzeroaxis;
set border 2; "

Thanks

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal