Re: Using Octave for class labs

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: Using Octave for class labs
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 16:05:22 +0200

On 10/7/2011 3:52 PM, John B. Thoo wrote:
Hello.

This is a general type question.  I will be teaching linear algebra in the
spring semester and I am thinking of assigning some class labs for the first
time.  In fact I'm thinking of using the labs from UC Davis to where some of
our students transfer.  Their labs were written to be done in that numerical
computation software from the Dark Side and you can find them here (listed in
the sidebar):

<http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~daddel/Math22al/22AL_Home.html>

Now, I'm still a novice in using Octave, so my question to y'all is, Do you
think these UCD labs can be done using Octave easily?  If you think so, then I
will tell the students to obtain Octave in the winter break (before the
semester starts) and I will work on them myself during the break.  If you don't
think so, then I may not assign any labs this time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

---John.

At first glance it looks very basic stuff, it should be easily ported to Octave with little (or none) modifications.

Regards
Marco