Re: octave workshop

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: octave workshop
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 11:57:55 -0700 (PDT)

Carnë Draug-2 wrote:

> On 4 October 2011 15:17, Roy Menachem <roym@> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed the octave workshop, and I need to add the xls function
>> (xlsread,xlsopen…),what should I do in order to get it?
>
> You need to install the io package from octave-forge. See
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/

...plus (apart from io package) either:
 - Windows package and MS-Excel itself;
or
 - Java package. To install that you'll also need to have a Java JDK
installed.

For the Java way you'll need the 5 Apache POI related Java class libs (.jar
files) - you wanted to read xlsx, didn't you? and set up the Java classpath.
Perhaps you'll need to fiddle with the JVM size settings (java.opts file) as
well if you've got fairly big files.

That would be about all that is needed.

All in all, quite a hassle for an old (2.9.4) Octave version, which may even
be too old to be able to install recent versions of the required OF (Octave
Forge) packages - and even if this succeeds a next question is whether
they'll work reliably.

On OF there's still the Octave-3.2.4_MinGW binary. Although a little bit
outdated, in my experience it is the most stable and smooth Windows Octave
version I have seen in the 13+ years that I use Octave. It hasn't let me
down until now and I still use it regularly. It contains all packages you
needed - just select them during installation (DO NOT SELECT oct2mat pkg).
Then there's Tatsuro's 3.4.2 MinGW build, which underlies NitNit's 3.4.2
binary release. But Tatsuro insists that it is a testing release, and indeed
I regularly hit memory corruption issues with it (still have to report them,
but they're a bit vague and only repeatable with big data sets).

If you can't live without a GUI, try QtOctave (qtoctave-0.10.1-win32.zip is
the most recent version I've tried).
There's also another, closed source GUI (which Jordi would forbid to
explicitly mention) which works very good with the 3.2.4 binary but hangs
with the 3.4.2 one.
Native graphics (OpenGL/FLTK) works in neither GUI.

I do agree with Jordi that Octave Workshop should be dropped a.s.a.p. Same
goes for e.g., XOctave. They're simply far too old.

Philip