how to get the size of large files ?

From: vatko
Subject: how to get the size of large files ?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:54:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I had a code in matlab that needed to know the exact size of some data file
at a certain point. I used the function s = dir(filename) and read the file
size in s.bytes. But this does not work in octave with very large files. I
have a file that is ~3.4Go and dir tells me that the file does not exist. I
also tried stat(), but it gives me an empty array. But both function work
with small files of a few Mo.
Is there any other way I can get the size of a file ?

thanks