Re: oct (and mex) files for different architectures

From: c.
Subject: Re: oct (and mex) files for different architectures
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:31:04 +0200

On 12 Sep 2011, at 15:14, Richard Crozier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Matlab, I can compile several different mex files for different machine
> architectures and Matlab will call the appropriate one for the local setup.
> The compiled mex files are given appropriate extensions e.g. mexa64 for
> 64bit linux, mexglx for 32 bit linux, mexw32 for 32 bit windows etc.
>
> Is the equivalent possible for oct files (or mex files created in Octave)?
> Otherwise, how are different platforms dealt with? I only see a single
> extension mentioned in the docs, and I often run batch jobs on several
> machines with access to a common directory containing my mfile sources and
> compiled mex files. I can't think how I would do this without this
> functionality.
>
> I should also admit I haven't actually tried using oct files yet, so sorry
> if I've misunderstood something.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

In installing packages octave separates architecture independent interpreted
files from binary architecture
dependent files and places the latter in a directory whos name refers to the
machine architecture and octave API version, e.g.

~/octave/nurbs-1.3.5
~/octave/nurbs-1.3.5/x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0-api-v44+/

c.