Re: format compact and loose

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: format compact and loose
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 06:01:51 -0500

On 5 September 2011 05:39, Zbigniew Komarnicki <address@hidden> wrote:
> ans(:,:,1) =
>
>   0.385381   0.102281   0.081179
>   0.191353   0.688788   0.702630
>
> ans(:,:,2) =
>
>   0.27829   0.60780   0.25063
>   0.97789   0.83470   0.98665
>
> ans(:,:,3) =
>
>   0.39944   0.46261   0.22852
>   0.96768   0.91418   0.43441
[snip]
> There no difference. Help is inadequate:
>
>    `compact'
>          Remove extra blank space around column number labels
>          producing more compact output with more data per page.
>
>    `loose'
>          Insert blank lines above and below column number labels to
>          produce a more readable output with less data per page.
>          (default).

Did you think that the ans(:,:,3) marks meant "column number labels"?
The column number labels are printed when there are more columns than
can fit in the width of your screen. Do rand(12,2) to see the
difference between compact and loose.

How can the help string better explain the meaning of "column number
labels"?

> What worse there is too much empty lines at the end, see:
>
> ans(:,:,3) =
>
>   0.343706   0.733566   0.967689
>   0.032310   0.040119   0.957366
> one empty line      |
> second empty line   |  <-- not needed 3 empty lines
> third empty line    |
> octave:22>             <-- prompt line

I don't see this much space in 3.4, but you're right that it's there
in 3.2. If you're unable to compile a more recent version of Octave
(it's quite easy on Debian), perhaps you can wait until we release a
new Debian packaging for it.

- Jordi G. H.