Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:04:01 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- On Mon, 2011/8/29, octaveuser001  wrote:

> Hi,
> Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave
> 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)
>
> I downloaded the 3.4 binaries of MinGW for windows from
> http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/.
> A specific problem that i had with 3.2 (isosurface/patch issue) seems to be
> fixed with 3.4. I was very excited but getting to use 3.4 with all packages
> is turning out to be painful and i feel despondent now.
>
> Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I couldnt get
> "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat file as specified in
> the readme (after downloading MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem
> to work. It complains about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other
> path/environment variables needs to be set. Further on downloading
> 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my antivirus complains that it is a
> potential virus file!
I have checked OctaveLibs.zip by the Avast virus checker, no virus detected.
Sometimes virus checkers will overestimate the potential of virus infection.

> Also, even without the image package, just calling the default "imread"
> complains about missing dependencies for "__magick_read__.oct" - I did see
> that there is a GraphicsMagicK-.1.3.12 but not sure if something else is
> missing.
>
> Anyway, if the installer is going to be released sooner, i neednt spend time
> diagnosing this (especially since i am newbee to Octave.) If any one has got
> 3.4 on windows running with image package pls. do let me know.

Please see octave-3.4.2.bat in bin directory.  In that batch file, the example
of setting  environmental variable is described. Using this I have installed
odepkg and miscellaneous octave-forge-packages as trial.

Supporting the octave-forge package are very tough work so that I have tried
only two (odepkg and miscellaneous) packages. (Because I use them in my daily
use of octave.)

More stuffs who work on windows build, package managing and etc. are required.

Regards

Tatsuro