Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 14:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

octaveuser001 wrote:

> Hi,
> Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave
> 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)

No one can at the moment.
Personally I expect that Octave-3.4.2 won't be packaged as binary Windows
distribution - the current 3.4.2 has some issues and I find more and more of
them. Perhaps upcoming 3.4.3 is a better candidate.

What I did realize the last months is that the 3.2.4 MinGW binary is a very
very good one - it's quality will be hard to beat. Benjamin Lindner (who
made it) prebuilt and included a lot of octave-forge packages; I'm afraid
especially that will be a challenge for 3.4.x.

> I downloaded the 3.4 binaries of MinGW for windows from
> http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/.
> A specific problem that i had with 3.2 (isosurface/patch issue) seems to
> be fixed with 3.4. I was very excited but getting to use 3.4 with all
> packages is turning out to be painful and i feel despondent now.
>
> Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I couldnt
> get "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat file as specified
> in the readme (after downloading MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt
> seem to work. It complains about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how
> many other path/environment variables needs to be set. Further on
> downloading 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my antivirus
> complains that it is a potential virus file!

A false positive.
I have the same files d/led and installed and they work OK.

> Also, even without the image package, just calling the default "imread"
> complains about missing dependencies for "__magick_read__.oct" - I did see
> that there is a GraphicsMagicK-.1.3.12 but not sure if something else is
> missing.

Perhaps if you unzip & install all Tatsuro's zips in the same place as he
did (C:\Programs\), it might work.
You'll need to add the mingw\bin and msys\bin + octave-3.4.2\bin directories
to the Windows PATH before starting Octave itself; I did that using a
octave.bat file.

In the mean time I found that quite a few octave-forge packages with binary
modules (.oct files) need to be updated to octave-3.4.2.

A while ago I cooked up a sort of binary Octave-3.4.2 installation by
redistributing Tatsuro's dependencies etc into his Windows binary. Only then
I could compile octave-forge packages (yes I recognize the missing g++
message).
I still have to write up how I did it, but like most Octave developers and
contributors I lack time and I have other priorities (one of which is being
on vacation with my family until early September).

> Anyway, if the installer is going to be released sooner, i neednt spend
> time diagnosing this (especially since i am newbee to Octave.) If any one
> has got 3.4 on windows running with image package pls. do let me know.

I suppose Tatsuro does.

Anyway, moaning about sooner releases doesn't magically get us a 3.4.x
Windows binary.
It has to be built and tested, and especially on Windows building isn't
easy, and there are too few developers and testers involved with it.
Your report isn't in vain - it is good that you report problems and thus
function as a tester. We need more detailed test reports however. To be able
to do that, you need more info on how to proceed, sure.
Hopefully you'll have enough patience with us.

Philip