Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.2 for Windows and installer
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:48:30 -0500

On 28 August 2011 10:57, octaveuser001 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Could any one please let me know when we will have an installer for Octave
> 3.4.2 on windows? (Similar to the 3.2 we have currently)

When it's ready, sooner if you help.

Packaging on Windows is a pain. several people are working on it, but
we really need help with it. If you can figure out a way to help, e.g.
with programming or money aid to support those who are working on it,
you may get a Windows installer sooner.

> Particularly i wanted to install the image 1.0.14 package, but I
> couldnt get "pkg install" working. I fiddled with the octave.bat
> file as specified in the readme (after downloading
> MinGW/MSYS/GnuWin32), but it still doesnt seem to work. It complains
> about missing g++.exe and i am not sure how many other
> path/environment variables needs to be set.

Sadly, Octave's pkg mechanism works through source distribution. It
assumes you have an environment for compiling Octave and its
associated packages, so getting packages on Windows installed through
the pkg mechanism is no easier than creating a Windows installer
itself.

> Further on downloading 'OctaveLibs.zip' from the above website, my
> antivirus complains that it is a potential virus file!

I really doubt that Tatsuro is distributing Windows viruses by
mistake, but I suppose it's a possibility. Have you confirmed with
other antivirus software?

Sorry for the bleak news, but it is the state of things. We need help
with Windows distribution, and not enough Windows users want to help.

- Jordi G. H.