Re: Simulink for Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Simulink for Octave
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:45:15 -0500

On 20 August 2011 08:25, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would also suggest giving a look at OpenModelica:
> http://www.openmodelica.org/
>
> which seems very promising, although the frequent references to "open source"
> on the web site make me wonder whether that is really free software.

I looked into it a few days ago. Looks like it is. They have several
licensing options, but one of them is GPLv3 + additional restriction
(*everything* that gets near to OpenModelica should also be GPLv3,
much wider copyleft than what the actual GPLv3 says, is what they are
basically trying to impose). You can see their license terms here:

     https://openmodelica.org/svn/OpenModelica/trunk/OSMC-License.txt

User is "anonymous", password is "none".

However, GPLv3 says in Section 7,

     If the Program as you received it, or any part of it, contains a
     notice stating that it is governed by this License along with a
     term that is a further restriction, you may remove that term.

so it looks like it's an ineffective attempt anyways, and the code is
GPLv3, like Octave.

- Jordi G. H.