Re: Compiling Octave with OSX 10.7

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave with OSX 10.7
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:21:35 -0400

On Aug 17, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Aug 10, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Liam Groener wrote:

Hi,
Has anyone successfully built Octave on a machine with OSX 10.7 installed. I attempted to do this with Octave 3.4.2 using MacPorts. The error I got does not seem to me to be a problem with the portfile, but with the build process. The log file error message was:

:info:build libtool: compile:  /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.5 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../libgnu -I../libgnu -I../libcruft/misc -I../liboctave -I../liboctave -I. -I. -pipe -O2 -m64 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -pipe -O2 -m64 -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -pipe -O2 -m64 -c display.cc  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/liboctinterp_la-display.o
:info:build display.cc: In member function 'void display_info::init(bool)':
:info:build display.cc:73:46: error: 'CGDisplayBitsPerPixel' was not declared in this scope
:info:build make[3]: *** [liboctinterp_la-display.lo] Error 1
:info:build make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
:info:build In file included from dirfns.cc:61:0:

I did successfully use the same port command to install octave on a different machine running snow leopard. This installation still runs fine after upgrading to lion (OSX 10.7).

Liam,

I'm seeing the same error when I attempt to build Macports' octave-devel on OSX 10.7.

I've seen similar errors in the past, which those with an understanding of c/c++ have often fixed very quickly for me.

Eventually, I'll search through the mail-list to find one of those past examples. Perhaps it will be clear from that what needs to be done.

I'm in the middle of upgrading my computer, so I don't know when I'll get to it.

Ben

Apparently the error is due to Apple's Carbon framework.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/30737

I've been using Carbon for FLTK, and my impression is that we'll need Carbon for the Qt stuff. Thus, I assume all MacOS users will eventually be impacted.

A discussion of the same problem by developers of OpenSceneGraph is at the link below.

http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=8894

Looks like a solution is possible, but it is beyond my skill set.

Ben