Trying to initiate work on Octave

From: don scott
Subject: Trying to initiate work on Octave
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:07:13 -0700 (PDT)

 First big problem: cannot get Octave to recognize path to my .m file or to the data files

Below is a transcript of my failed attempts:

First:
 Here's the equipment setup

Windows  7 Home Premium
Serivce Pack 1
Acer Aspire X1920
Pentium Dual core 3.2Ghz
4>00 GB ram
64-bit operating system

Windows confirms that a directory EEGLAB exists right at the root of the C:\ drive, right along with the Octave directory, Windows, Program Files....etc
downloaded octave-3.4.2.tar.gz, and it seems to run
So I load Octave and get this cursor prompt:

Octave 3.2.4exe:1>

EXAMPLE from GNU operating system HELP file:

— Built-in Function: addpath (dir1, ...)
— Built-in Function: addpath (dir1, ..., option)

so I tried it:

addpath (EEGLAB\eeglab10.2.2.0b\eeglab.m)
syntax error             ^

what does this mean???

So I tried to get just the first directory to work:

addpath (EEGLAB)
       error:EEGLAB undefined near line 1 column 10
       error: evaluating argument list element number 1
       error: evaluating argument list element number 1

Help file also showed example with quotation marks:

addpath ("EEGLAB")
warning addpath: EEGLAB: no such file or directory

So let's see what path works with Octave as it came to me.  Here's one:

path
C:\octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\libexec\octave\3.2.4\site\oct\i686-pc-mingw32

So let's try that, with the C:\ up front:

addpath (C:\EEGLAB)
parse error:
       syntax error
>>> addpath (C:\EEGLAB)
              ^

addpath (C:EEGLAB)
error: 'c' undefined near line 3 column 10
error: invalid base value in colon _expression_
error: evaluating argument list element number 1

I`m running out of hair to pull out......

please help

Thanks

Don