Octave + PostgreSQL + JDBC

From: ggv
Subject: Octave + PostgreSQL + JDBC
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:48:06 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings to all, this is my first post to this list

I am experimenting with Octave for an application that will need access to a
PostgreSQL database.  I am trying out  the JDBC  following an example
written for Matlab.  I am running  Octave 3.2.4 under Ubuntu 11.04 and
installed package java-1.2.8 from Octave Forge.

I actually got the example below to work, but would like to hear from more
experienced users if this is a reasonable approach.  Thanking you in
advance, here is my code:

% ----- PostgreSQL with JDBC  ----
% Add jar file to classpath
javaaddpath('postgresql-jdbc3-8.4.jar');

% Username and password you chose when installing postgres
props=javaObject('java.util.Properties');
props.setProperty("user", 'myself');
props.setProperty("password", 'nottellingyou');

% Create database connection
driver=javaObject('org.postgresql.Driver');
url='jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/testdb';
conn=driver.connect(url, props);

% Test query
sql='select max("Session_Date") from "TestTable"'
ps=conn.prepareStatement(sql);
rs=ps.executeQuery();

% Retrieve results into  array
count=0;