Re: suggestion for matlab guide replacement

From: fork
Subject: Re: suggestion for matlab guide replacement
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:44:41 +0000 (UTC)

c. <carlo.defalco <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > What do you suggest me to use to develop similar interface for the octave
> > version? (I am not talking about an octave frontend. I just need a
> > functional Matlab GUIDE replacement).
> >
> > Would you please advise me about the simplest solution for such a situation.
>
> If the interface you need to write is really that simple you might want to
look at the
>  "zenity" package which does have a very simple progress-bar function:
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/zenity/function/zenity_progress.html
> HTH,
> c.

Zenity would be a great first choice.

If all you are basically capturing some input via forms, writing command
strings, firing off (command line friendly) executable scripts when a GUI button
is pushed, and waiting for them to complete I would look at using Tcl/Tk --
funny and old-school, but ubiquitous, trivial to learn, and specifically
designed for this sort of thing.  (The above specification could probably be
done in 10 lines or so.)