Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 18:25:58 -0400

On Aug 6, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 6 August 2011 15:51, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "We want ...".
>>
>> And I want developers who do not release SW full of warnings which
>> more often than not indicate bugs.
>
> If you want that sort of software, then it is in your best interest to
> cooperate with other people instead of treating us like antagonists
> for maintaining without pay software that you are using to accomplish
> tasks.
>
> Work with us, we'll work with you, and Octave will be better for it.
>
> We are not your enemies. Please don't talk to us as if we were. When
> you're ready to submit a patch, please try to do so following our
> recommendations.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Sergei,

I was going to respond to your email, but Jordi got there first and expressed
by sentiments much better than I'm capable of.

I would like to add that you are not the only one who is frustrated with Octave
Forge's packages.

Unfortunately, as Octave Forge and Octave are maintained by separate teams I
think it is to be expected that some problem will exist.

I expect both teams would welcome new volunteers who are motived to ensure
Octave Forge's packages can be installed in a convenient manner on all OS's for
recent versions of Octave.

I wish I had the time. Unfortunately, my normal day job keeps me plenty busy at
the moment.

Ben