Re: signal-1.0.11 and shadowing of core library functions

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: signal-1.0.11 and shadowing of core library functions
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

Juergen Rose wrote:

> After installing signal-1.0.11, which also installs miscellaneous-1.0.9,
> optim-1.0.12 and specfun-1.0.9 as dependencies under Gentoo, octave
> complains after starting about shadowing of core library functions:
>
> address@hidden:/home/rose/Txt/projects/Spectral_analysis(23)$ octave
> GNU Octave, version 3.4.0
> Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.
> This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.
>
> Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
>
> Additional information about Octave is available at
> http://www.octave.org.
>
> Please contribute if you find this software useful.
> For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
>
> Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
>
> For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
>
> warning:
> function
> /usr/libexec/octave/packages/miscellaneous-1.0.9/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v47+/hex2num.oct
> shadows a core library function
> warning: function /usr/share/octave/packages/optim-1.0.12/fminbnd.m
> shadows a core library function
> warning: function /usr/share/octave/packages/specfun-1.0.9/erfcx.m
> shadows a built-in function
> octave:1>
>
> Is this a serious problem or can I ignore it?

It's a problem if you need the (very probably better) core octave functions.
So it depends on the situation.

A week or so ago I started looking if I amend fix pkg.m so that octave-forge
m-files that will shadow core octave functions can automatically be skipped
(at the user's discretion, of course).
Ben & John helped me with some code snippets, I think I found where to patch
pkg.m, but I got distracted :-(  (happens often to me these days)

I'll try to get further with pkg.m this weekend.

Philip