Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 10:01:59 -0700 (PDT)

Trying to compile 'symbolic' package I've noticed two problems:

1) it doesn't compile;
2) apparently wrong order of messages - please see in the attached file:

"
     49 symbols.cc: In function ‘octave_value_list Fsubs(const
octave_value_list&, int)’:
     50 symbols.cc:376:17: error: ‘const class octave_value’ has no member
named ‘is_list’
     51 make: *** [symbols.o] Error 1
     52 'make' returned the following error: make: Entering directory
`/tmp/oct-XTeaMy/symbolic-1.0.9/src'
     53 mkoctfile -v    -c symbols.cc
"

- I think first there should be

mkoctfile -v    -c symbols.cc

and then the error message.

I've looked into source of 'pkg.m' and, if I understand correctly, it
prints its messages stdout. While the compiler (g++/gcc) prints messages
to stderr.

I've seen "countless" cases like this - because of mixture of stdout and
stderr order of messages is violated. This is because by default stdout
is buffered and stderr is unbuffered.

So, if my understandings are correct, it's a bug in 'pkg.m' and maybe
other files - stdout output should be replaced with stderr one.

Regards,
  Sergei.