Re: Memory exhausted

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Memory exhausted
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:16:12 +0200

On Montag, 1. August 2011 21:57:34 J Stasko wrote:
> I am running fsolve on matrix with 47089 elements.  I get the following
> error,
>
> error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's
> index type -- trying to return to prompt
>
> This is even after executing the called function, the error is somewhere in
> fsolve(@whatever,matrix) after @whatever returns.
>
> When I call fsolve with 40000 elements, I don't get the error.  I'm
> guessing, maybe, that there's some option I can use to change this.  I'm
> going to try to offer the jacobian to this fsolve, but I don't know if that
> will help.
>
> Thanks,
> -John S
I guess your matrices are square: With the 40000 size your matrix has 1.6e9
entries which can be handled by octaves index type. With the 47089 size you
have more than 2e9 elemnts in the matrix which can not be handled by octaves
index type.
To solve this you will need to recompile octave with the experimental 64 bit
support. I never did that so I cannot help with that.
If I understood wrong what you are doing please correct me.