Re: Newbie problem running *.m files on Octave 3.4.2 on Snow Leopard

From: John Helly
Subject: Re: Newbie problem running *.m files on Octave 3.4.2 on Snow Leopard
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:54:18 -1000

Hi Jordi.

I agree with you.  I think something is between me and octave.  The contents of the terminal window that opens up has the following (i've added the red):
=========================== Terminal Window =============================
Last login: Sat Jul 30 16:40:50 on ttys002
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~>exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
GNU Octave, version 3.4.0
Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin10.7.3".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave-3.4.0:1>

It looks like octave is being invoke by the 'exec' command and not getting any arguments.  When I look at the commands you suggested:

NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave-3.4.2>octave
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave-3.4.2>which octave
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/MacOS/octave
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave-3.4.2>file $(which octave)
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/MacOS/octave: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/MacOS/octave (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/MacOS/octave (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave-3.4.2>

everything looks good.

This is why  I wanted to compile my own version to test that in contrast but I can't get that to work either.  The sample script can be run within the opened terminal window and it runs fine (makes plot, eg.).

Frustrating.
Cheers.
John Helly, University of California, San Diego / San Diego Supercomputer Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography / 760 840 8660 mobile / stonesteps7 (Skype) / stonesteps7 (iChat) / http://www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj