Re: Newbie problem running *.m files on Octave 3.4.2 on Snow Leopard

From: John Helly
Subject: Re: Newbie problem running *.m files on Octave 3.4.2 on Snow Leopard
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:25:06 -1000

Hi.
I also ran autogen.sh and ended up with this even though I installed
autogen-2.68 already.

build-aux/bootstrap: no version control for m4/xsize.m4?
build-aux/bootstrap: glibtoolize -c -f ...
glibtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `build-aux'.
glibtoolize: copying file `build-aux/ltmain.sh'
glibtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
glibtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
glibtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
glibtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
glibtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
glibtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
build-aux/bootstrap: aclocal --force -I m4  ...
configure.ac:45: error: Autoconf version 2.62 or higher is required
configure.ac:45: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 63
aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 63
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave>
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave>autogen -version
-bash: autogen: command not found
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave>autogen --version
-bash: autogen: command not found
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave>

I got past it by commenting out line 45 of configure.ac and it ran to
completion (apparently) but ./configure fails anyway as follows:

m4/gnulib-comp.m4:177: gl_EARLY is expanded from...
configure.ac:262: the top level
configure.ac:262: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE was called before AC_GNU_SOURCE
configure.ac:51: require Automake 1.11, but have 1.10
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave>./configure
./configure: line 621: test: /Library/Application: binary operator expected
./configure: line 621: test: /Library/Application: binary operator expected
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in build-aux
"."/build-aux
NeptuneStonesteps.local:~/src/octave>

Thanks for any help.
Cheers.
--------------
John Helly, University of California, San Diego / San Diego Supercomputer
Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography / 760 840 8660 mobile /
stonesteps7 (Skype) / stonesteps7 (iChat) / http://www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj

On Jul 30, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

On 30 July 2011 20:41, John Helly <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've put /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/MacOS in my path and
> aliased octave='Octave' and I can start 'octave' from the Terminal
> command-line but whether I give it a *.m filename or not it always
> opens up an interactive session.

What did you type, what was the exact output? I find it odd that if
you type "octave -q foo.m", you end up in an interactive session, if
this is indeed what you're doing.

> I've also tried building octave-3.4.2 but it fails with a flex
> problem in builtins.cc that seems to be an old problem and I can't
> figure that out.

Can you say what the problem is? Just post the error messages you see.

> I then tried building from the source gotten from
>
> hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
>
> but that doesn't seem to have configure bundled with it.

These are developer sources and not recommended unless you want to
help with Octave's development itself. You have to build your own
configure script using GNU autotools if you want to work from the hg
sources. If you have installed autotools (and git, and probably many
many other things), do "./autogen.sh" to produce a configure script.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.