Newbie problem running *.m files on Octave 3.4.2 on Snow Leopard

From: John Helly
Subject: Newbie problem running *.m files on Octave 3.4.2 on Snow Leopard
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:40:56 -1000

Hi.

I've put /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/MacOS in my path and aliased
octave='Octave' and I can start 'octave' from the Terminal command-line but
whether I give it a *.m filename or not it always opens up an interactive
session.  I expect that if I give it a *.m filename it should run the file and
return to the command-line.  Can anyone suggest why this is not working?

Thanks.

Cheers.
John Helly, University of California, San Diego / San Diego Supercomputer
Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography / 760 840 8660 mobile /
stonesteps7 (Skype) / stonesteps7 (iChat) / http://www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj