equivalent of Scilab 'colcomp' for Octave ?

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: equivalent of Scilab 'colcomp' for Octave ?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I need to convert a number of Scilab functions to Octave, and one of the
functions uses 'colcomp':

http://help.scilab.org/docs/5.3.2/en_US/colcomp.html
.

Is there an equivalent function for Octave ?

I've done some web search using

+GNU +Octave +column +compression +matrix

keywords; I understand that the function is related to factorization; my
knowledge of linear algebra is too rusty to be able to quickly figure
out by myself what Octave functions to use,

Probably I'll need functions from

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Matrix-Factorizations.html
.

Thanks,