imagesc

From: pathematica
Subject: imagesc
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:43:43 -0700 (PDT)

octave 3.23/ubuntu 10.04

I would be grateful if someone could explain how to use imagesc(). If it is
clear to someone who knows how to use it that I do not have the necessary
insight and remedial education is not a practical option in this forum,
please do not be afraid to say so in this forum - I will not be offended!

I was hoping (I might have misunderstood) that it allows scaling of images
so that a suitable sized raster image might be plotted for rendering in a
browser.

Following the instructions in the manual, I have installed xloadimage (into
ubuntu) using the Synaptic Package Manager.

% the following is just a random plot (not important) to illustrate the
point
tx = ty = linspace (0, 3, 31)';
[xx, yy] = meshgrid (tx, ty);
tz = exp(-xx);
mesh (tx, ty, tz);
box("off"); hold("on");
% end of plot

% then, intending to scale by 0.5, I have tried the following (I am
embarrassed to admit I am not sure how to interpret the 'x' given in the
manual):

imagesc(x, 0.5);

% with the hope of printing a scaled png image with eg
print -dpng filename.png

This yields the following error messages
error: `x' undefined near line () column ()
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1

I apologise if my reading of the function is naive and this looks stupid!
Still, I have no pride and I will not be offended if someone merely lets me
know that I do not have the necessary skills or insight to use the function
:-)