Re: simple GUI using Qt

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: simple GUI using Qt
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:23:49 -0400

On 07/26/2011 04:00 PM, Martijn wrote:
On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 18:41 +0200, pantxo diribarne wrote:

I am running octave  on Mac os 10.5.8 (J. Salort's 3.4.0 binary) and I
would like to be able to add very simple GUI to octave using Qt.

Feel free to make a GUI if you enjoy doing so, i.e. the activity of the
programming. But I suggest you to pick the GUI you like best and
contribute to that one. Within a few months we will switch to 16 bit
integers to count GUI's for octave.

I think he wants to wrap Octave scripts in GUI elements (file selection, forms for parameter input, buttons for triggering actions). The GUIs you are talking are Octave WYSIWYG IDEs. In principle, it should be possible to leverage IDEs to create GUI applications---e.g. Eclipse allows that---but AFAIK none of the Octave IDEs do that.

Actually, Matlab has a GUI for creating GUIs, called GUIDE: it's a grid-based drag'n'drop layout interface that generates the CLI files.

Indeed, what do people recommend for Octave script GUIs? the actual low level facility for GUIs in Matlab uses handles, which are implemented for plotting, so are other widgets like buttons, text fields, file selection dialogs etc. available also? I seem to remember people talking about it but I have no idea what is the current status.