Re: undeclared variable error

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: undeclared variable error
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:20:03 -0400

On 21-Jul-2011, David Doria wrote:

| > What version of makeinfo do you have?  Apparently we now require that
| > makeinfo can handle @leq.  The NEWS file for the Texinfo package says
| > that @leq was added in version 4.12, released 20 April 2008.  The
| > current version is 4.13, release 18 September 2008.
|
| ~/src/facealign/images$ makeinfo --version
| makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8
|
| This is the kind of thing that should be caught by the configure script,
right?

I don't want the configure script to check for version numbers, but I
have no objection to adding tests that check for required versions.
But checking for Texinfo features is a really low priority for me, so
I'm unlikely to add the check myself.  Would you like to submit a
patch?  It should be sufficient to just check that @leq works with
makeinfo.

In any case, a normal build from a released tar file should not have
to rebuild the documentation.  So this is really mostly a problem for
Octave developers (i.e., anyone modifying the sources).  As such, we
sort of expect that people who are modifying Octave can get the proper
tools and that they will have current versions installed.

jwe