Re: Opening and Analyzing Data in a NetCDF File

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Opening and Analyzing Data in a NetCDF File
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:49:35 -0500

On 20 July 2011 16:28, Mike Grissom <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, after a week of trying to use Octave to do some basic
> statisitics with a NetCDF file, I haven't gotten far. I've
> downloaded the latest release of Octave and have installed the
> octcdf package. I verified that it is installed using the pkg
> command. I've browsed through the Octave Manual and have searched
> for relevant posts looking for solutions but have had no luck. I'm
> getting stuck when I try to do anything with the NetCDF file. I
> think I've been able to open it, but I'm not sure, and then I get
> stuck. I tried using this from the Octave Manual:
>
>   filename = "myfile.txt";
>      fid = fopen (filename, "w");
>      # Do the actual I/O here...
>      fclose (fid);
>
> I do not know what the contents of the file are either. My goal is
> to do some basic statistics such as a correlation, regression
> analysis, make some plots, etc.
>
> I would appreciate any information that would help me get going.

The octcdf package comes with an example file of how to use it. It's
called example_netcdf.m, and you'll find it installed alongside the
other files that the octcdf package installed, or inside the tarball
that you downloaded from Sourceforge. The documentation for octcdf
functions can also be found here:

     http://octave.sourceforge.net/octcdf/overview.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.