Re: Testing binaries of octave for windows (MinGW32) is updated

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Testing binaries of octave for windows (MinGW32) is updated
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:27:53 +0200

   > --- On Tue, 7/19/11, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:

   > It's like students studying electricity insist on learning/understanding
   > electric motors insist on dealing with electric motors only inside electric
   > drills or as part of drill presses.

Ja ja very funny. Although I agree in principle and for the
record I use Ubuntu and Xemacs with almost everything,
reality, at least here in Spain, is very different. Not wishing to
start a rant I only remark that our students are helpless
without a GUI, sad but true.

   > Anyway, one can use Notepad++ - it is possible to run
   > an arbitrary program from it and get the program's
   > output back into a Notepad++ tab.

If I had to force them to use an editor Notepad++ would
be the last thing I'd consider.

   > IIRC, Notepad++ also has Matlab/Octave syntax highlighting mode.

Yeah maybe but (X)emacs is still much better.

   > I am not a Windows guy.

Well you use

Instead of mutt or (X)emacs :'(

   > In the early nineties I heard a sarcastic opinion that many engineers
   > can't even use a text editor. Now reading about those students who can't
   > work without a GUI I realize how much that text editor observation was
   > correct.

Right students know facebook twitter etc, but think MS Word is an
editor, sigh.

   > Regards,
Uwe