Re: "real" time inputs?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: "real" time inputs?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:33:52 -0500

On 18 July 2011 12:44, Lisa Thierbach <address@hidden>
wrote:
> I'd like to read in data from the serial port (USB actually) on my
> Mac. It is possible I could go through some other code that reads
> the data and then passes it to Octave. But how do I pass data into
> Octave from another source in real time?

Depending exactly on how you read your data, one possibility is to use
pipes:

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Controlling-Subprocesses.html#doc_002dpopen

You can also use the sockets package, which can work with local
sockets, not necessarily over a network:

     http://octave.sourceforge.net/sockets/index.html

Both of these mimic closely their standard Unix counterparts. You
should consult documentation for pipes or sockets to understand more
about how to use these.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.