Re: precompiled 3.4 for Debian/Ubuntu: was Re: still problems, version?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: precompiled 3.4 for Debian/Ubuntu: was Re: still problems, version?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:12:28 -0500

2011/7/18 Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> On 17 July 2011 12:38, Uwe Brauer<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know about precompiled 3.4 octave for Debian/Ubuntu?
>>
>> I've started working on it today, but I don't expect I will have it
>> soon. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> Ok, I just tried it in Lucid, be warned it is not as obvious as I thought.

Yes, thanks. I know how to compile on Debian. We may need to update
Octave's build-deps because I think the fltk stuff has changed since
3.2 when we last packaged this, but except for that "apt-get build-dep
octave3.2" in Ubuntu will get you those dependencies, and '"aptitude
build-dep octave3.2" is preferrable on Debian.

Note that unlike Debian, Ubuntu has no dedicated team looking at the
Octave packages, so it's gathering some bit rot, and we have had
problems with Ubuntu recompiling Octave Debian packages with errors.
If Ubuntu matters a lot to you, you might want to help them to make
sure their Octave packages are in good shape.

- Jordi G. H.