[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: addpath, undefined functions

From: William Krekeler
Subject: RE: addpath, undefined functions
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:05:34 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Summers, Peter
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:00 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: RE: addpath, undefined functions

Ok, I've made some progress on this but now I have a really basic question.

First to recap: I downloaded some matlab files, put them in a directory (first 
within octave, then outside), pointed to them with addpath, and octave doesn't 
see them. They show up with "dir" and "edit", and are definitely where they're 
supposed to be. I'm working under windows 7 and there are no 
administrator-privilege issues (unless they're buried). I've checked pathnames 
etc for typos (none), and there are no errors that I can see in the downloaded 

Philip's suggestion of a 'test' program, and the fact that it worked (apart 
from conflicting with an internal octave command) gave me an idea. I opened 
'coher.m' (one of the afore-mentioned files), opened a new file in notepad++, 
copied coher.m verbatim into the new file, saved it under a new name ('new.m' 
-- after changing the name in the 'function' command), and gave it a try.

It worked! It calls another of my downloaded functions and I get the same 
'undefined' error on that line, but now octave is clearly seeing a function 
that's been there all along. I need to do this for every one of my (9,372) matlab files in order for 
octave to be useful to me???? 

I'm a user of matlab, potentially of octave. I can program pretty well in that 
environment, but am clueless when it comes to getting into the underlying 
structure (c++, java, whatever). And I'm just getting used to Win 7. So does 
this sound like something other than a trivial glitch? 

Help-octave mailing list


First, the listserv administrators prefer that we don't top post in responses. 
Now, on to your problem. You are in Windows 7 and claim that there are no 
permission issues, but you also stated that all new files work and the files 
that don't work were downloaded functions. If the downloaded functions were 
downloaded by a different userid on an ntfs partition and then copied to a 
folder controlled by your userid then you may in fact be in 'windows 
permissions hell.' There may also be other ways to enter this circular logic 

I experienced a similar problem when migrating from XP to win7. Windows 7 said 
I owned the files but then wouldn't let me access them even when operating as 
the administrative user because the underlying numeric id for the username was 
associated with the windows xp username not the windows 7 username of the same 
name. This results in behavior similar to what you are reporting, some programs 
allow you to see and edit files, others won't because they fail to escalate 
their process permission to the appropriate level to access the file.

You may find some of the following suggestions and information useful for 
fighting permissions issues associated with access control lists in windows 7. 
Warning take the time to understand the implications of the following 
suggestions as they may not be appropriate for you security environment.

   FIX permissions:
   Registry Edit:
   messed up user permissions:
   turn off indexing
      disable windows search in component services
   How to fix ownership:
      1. Open up command prompt, right click and run as admin to open the 
administrative control panel
      2. type the following and hit enter
      TAKEOWN /A /F C:
      then the next one
      TAKEOWN /F C:
   Suggestion to change ownership:
   Escalate CMD Executation to Administrator
   How to Disable UAC: User Account Control
      control panel > action center > security > User Account Control turn down 
level then reboot
         this WORKS
   How to Open Group Policy Editor
      browse to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > 
Local Policies > Security Options.
   For stubborn directories how to change when windows GUI utilities won't 
allow permissions
      note: this worked when my user ID in windows GUI was shown as owner, 
administrator with full rights but I still couldn't access files
      open an adminstrator command prompt and run the commands
      # cd /d <DIRECTORY_ABOVE_BAD>
      # icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

William Krekeler

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]