Re: timed subprocess

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: timed subprocess
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 18:14:49 +0200

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 07:50:51AM +0200, Alexander Poddey wrote:

> >... but you can't e.g. change variables of your parent Octave session in the
> background this way.
>
> what a pity. this is what i need to do.
> I want to regularly read new data from a file and provide it to the 'main'
> task....
> Any ideas how to do this?
>
> Alex

There are some ways to get data from the child process, but in any case
the parent process has to issue a command each time it wants to get data.
If you run a script or function in your main task, this could be done
automatically (but its doubtful then if running a separate process gives
any benefit at all). But it seems that you want to work with Octaves
command line while some of Octaves variables are changed in the background.
I think there is no way for that with processes. One could imagine that
one could achieve this with real threads (not processes), but I'm rather
sure that this is not possible at the moment.

Olaf