Re: Selecting elements in an image based on area

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Selecting elements in an image based on area
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:55:10 -0500

On 1 July 2011 08:48, Samuel Setchell <address@hidden> wrote:
> The elements are essentially incomplete halos, some of which are
> only half included in the image. Originally I wanted to use imfill.m
> 'holes' to fill in these elements and remove them, however this was
> not possible. Is there a way for separating these elements based on
> area form a binary? i.e. mask out all areas of ones that are
> connected that are greater than 400 pixels? Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

>From the image package in Octave-Forge, use bwlabel to label your
regions (you might have to split them into foreground and background
first if you haven't done so, since bwlabel works on boolean images),
then use regionprops to find the regions larger than a certain area.
If you need an n-dimensional version of bwlabel (i.e. bwlabeln), you
search the mailing list for the (bad) implementation I gave of it
earlier.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.