Octave scripts in Mac OSX

From: Daryl Lee
Subject: Octave scripts in Mac OSX
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:37:38 -0600

I'm plowing my way through the newly released "GNU Octave for Beginners" book, and I have run into a question that I think this group should be able to answer. I got to Chapter 4 and the section telling "GNU/Linux and MacOS X users" how to add the shebang line to their script so it can be executed from the bash shell.

In Mac OSX, from the shell I type ($ is shell prompt)

$ /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave

and get an Octave environment, as expected. But when I write a script with this as the first line:

#! /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave -qf

set the permissions, and execute the script, I get a bash syntax error on the first line of Octave script following the shebang line. I've tried it with and without the -qf. It works as advertised on Linux, so I'm sure it's a Mac OSX issue.

What would be an effective way to launch Octave scripts from the Mac OS X terminal command line?

--
Daryl Lee