Re: wavread problem with Octave 3.2.3

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: wavread problem with Octave 3.2.3
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:36:11 -0400

2010/8/12 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
On 12 August 2010 07:21, tdtodd <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've discovered that the problem here isn't with wavread at all. The problem
> is with the gnome-sound-recorder (v. 2.30.0 installed with Ubuntu 10.04)
> that I used to create the wav file.
>
> Poking into my wav file I found that the chunk size was set to 2.1474e+09,
> which is off by orders of magnitude.

Well, it's good you found the bug, but perhaps wavread should ignore
that value and just look at the filesize instead? I don't know if this
is a good approach because I'm not familiar with the file format.

You must be careful with file size. The riff format allows for many different chunks in one file. You would have to read and process all the info of each chunk and then compare with the actual file size, to see if the total adds up.  But wee could do a simple check and see if the the chunk size is much bigger that the actual file size, and then give a warning message. At the present time I think we assume that the wav file is valid.

Should we check for errors in the formatting of the wav file?

Just my 2C worth

Doug