Re: CUDA/OpenCL version of Octave for GPGPU?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: CUDA/OpenCL version of Octave for GPGPU?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:14:55 -0400

On Jun 16, 2011, at 10:23 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 17-Mar-2011, Tim Rueth wrote:
>
> | Have there been any thoughts about a CUDA/OpenCL version of Octave (on
> Windows)
> | that can run on a GPGPU?
>
> Is there a complete free software implementation of CUDA libraries
> that is distributed under terms that are compatible with the GPL?
>
> jwe

I have often seen this question come up when discussing CUDA/OpenCL.  My
question is whether it is against the spirit or the letter of the law for a GPL
program to link against a non-free shared library?  Doesn't essentially every
Linux computer that runs X11 and uses the NVidia provided driver do this exact
thing?  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to understand this
aspect of the requirements of the GPL.

John Swensen