Re: Open and Save in Octave

From: James Sherman Jr.
Subject: Re: Open and Save in Octave
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:33:24 -0400

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM, lim mk <address@hidden> wrote:
This is my input. This is the result I got. My file name is funny.m  .. Thank you for the very useful instruction of how to copy and paste, shermanjj. Anyway, if I wish to open funny.m , how must I key in my command.

octave-3.0.1.exe:1> <funny>
parse error:
  syntax error
>>> <funny>
    ^

First, to open funny.m, you need to set your editor (type "help EDITOR" without the quotes).  After you do that, you can type "edit funny.m" to edit your file.  Otherwise, you can simply use whatever your favorite text editor program is.  Certain popular ones (such as emacs and vim) have automatic color highlighting which I find very useful.

Secondly, if you wish to run funny.m, you (assuming you are in the right directory) can simply type "funny".  Don't use the < and > signs.  Like this:
octave-3.0.1.exe:1> funny
To make sure that you're in the correct directory, type "pwd" and use "cd <filepath>" to change it if needed.  Or, you can also add the path to the list that octave uses to look for programs.  You can do this by typing "addpath <filepath>". Like this:
octave-3.0.1.exe:1> addpath c:\directorywherefunnyis

Lastly, is there any particular reason that you're using Octave 3.0.1?  Its quite old now (almost 3 years?).  I'd suggest getting a newer version (3.2.4 can be found here) otherwise you might run bugs that have since been addressed.

Hope this helps,

James