Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:55:30 +0200

Am Freitag, 27. Mai 2011, 16:35:07 schrieb Philip Nienhuis:

> Martin Helm wrote:

> > Am Donnerstag, 26. Mai 2011, 23:28:28 schrieb Philip Nienhuis:

> > > But if you insist in going the hard way (no joking, I've done it

> > > myself

> > > several times), before attempting to install the Java pkg, be sure to

> > > 1. Have a Java JDK installed (a JRE is OK for working with a

> > > pre-compiled

> > > Java package, but insufficient for compiling it);

> > > 2. Let Octave know where to find the JDK, e.g.:

> > > Octave > setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "C:/Java/jdk1.6.0_20")

> > > ## (use FORWARD slashes, also on Windows)

> > I was a bit short on words then I answered to the original post due to a

> > lack of time. Sorry for that, usually I try to go more into detail.

> Yep, that's why I jumped in.... :-)

> > I am afraid even the two points above will not be enough (but are of

> > course needed). Last time I tried on a windows machine I had to tweak

> > something manually to succeed (I just forgot what, my main operating

> > system is linux).

> ??

> In a "plain vanilla" Octave installation the two points I mentioned

> (i.e., JDK presence & setenv() call) should really suffice.

> But... the Java package's installation messages are not always helpful

> when problems occur.

> E.g., on one of my own Windows boxes I could never get it installed (the

> only relevant "informative" message being: "Java support not compiled"),

> while installing the same package version went flawlessly on many other

> Windows & Linux boxes, even with the same Octave & Java versions.

> Only after I had completely reinstalled (that is, uninstalled and

> updated) the Java JDK itself I could get past this problem.

> I could never pinpoint the exact cause; but obviously registry

> corruption, hard disk read errors and/or fubarred Java dev tool files

> come to mind.

> Nevertheless, having tried on my own boxes and in heavily regulated

> corporate IT settings as well, I can only say that the two prerequisites

> I mentioned always proved sufficient to get the Java pkg installed in

> Octave, at least on healthy systems.

> Philip

You are right that your mentioned prerequisites are enough on windows. I obviously mixed that in my mind with the 64 bit oracle jdk on openSUSE, where there is always an additional step to create one symbolic link to map a server subfolder to a not existing client subfolder (which the configure script expects to be there).

Namely /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/lib/amd64/client does not exist but only

/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/lib/amd64/server and needs to be symlinked.

I tested the java package today with 3.2.4 on a windows 7 machine (oracle jdk 1.6.0) and it (1.2.7) compiles just fine (3.2.4 installed with the windows installer and without any packages selected during install).