Re: Octave installation issue: octave-image

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave installation issue: octave-image
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:24:01 -0500

On 25 May 2011 20:49, qtsf <address@hidden> wrote:
> I need to use the connected component tools in octave-image, and have
> installed octave-image from the Synaptic Package Manager on my Ubuntu 10.10
> server.
>
> When I use bwconncomp, it complains to me that 'bwlabel' is undefined. I've
> checked the octave-image directory:
> /usr/share/octave/packages/3.2/image-1.0.12 , and found that there is no
> bwlabel.m.

The Ubuntu packaging is buggy, iirc. I remember running into this
question in the #octave channel. The problem is that the packaging has
directories architecture-specific names in it that conflict with the
architecture that you're running. If you do

     dpkg -L octave-image

and

     uname -m

I think you should see that octave-image is installing to directories
with 64-bit architecture names in it and your system is 32-bit, or
vice versa; I forget the exact details.

The problem is that nobody is looking at Ubuntu's Octave packaging.
Ubuntu doesn't have dedicated per-package maintainers like Debian
does. Colin Watson fixed a packaging bug in Ubuntu last time I asked,
and perhaps he will do it again, or perhaps you can submit a fix to
Ubuntu's packaging yourself.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.