Re: printing two touching, side-by-side plots leaves space between them

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: printing two touching, side-by-side plots leaves space between them
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:02:10 -0400

On May 17, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Martin Senator wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 05:10:47PM -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On Apr 28, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Martin Senator wrote:
>>

>>> To: address@hidden
>>> Cc: ms
>>> Subject: printing two touching, side-by-side plots leaves space between them
>>> --------
>>> Bug report for Octave 3.2.2 configured for i486-pc-linux-gnu

>>> -----------
>>>
>>> I created two side-by-side plots with a common y scale that touch
>>> each other (using a procedure that Ben Abbot showed me).
>>> The plots were touching on the screen.
>>> When I used the print command, the resulting plot had a horizontal
>>> space between the two parts.
>>>
>>> Repeat-By:
>>> ---------
>>> Following is the contents of file test1.m:
>>>
>>> # testing the procedure Ben Abbot proposed:
>>> # file test1.m;
>>> # going to run by $ cat test1.m |octave --silent
>>> # just issued the (octave) commands 'diary on, echo on, more off'
>>>
>>> diary on, echo on, more off
>>> # testing the procedure Ben Abbot proposed:
>>> # file test1.m;
>>> # going to run by $ cat test1.m |octave --silent
>>> # just issued the (octave) commands 'diary on, echo on, more off'
>>>
>>> figure(1)
>>> clf
>>> x=0:0.01:10;
>>> h1=axes();
>>> h2=axes();
>>> p1=p2=get(h1,"position");
>>> p1(3)= p2(3)= p1(3)/2;
>>> p2(1)=p2(1)+p1(3);
>>> axes(h1)
>>> plot(x,sin(x))
>>> xlabel("radians")
>>> ylabel("sin(x)")
>>> axes(h2)
>>> plot(x*180/pi,sin(x))
>>> xlabel("degrees")
>>> set(h1,"position",p1);
>>> set(h2,"position",p2,"ytick",[]);
>>> outfile = "test1.pdf" ;
>>> print(outfile)
>>> pause(20)
>>> diary off
>>
>> Using the developers sources, this problem/bug has been fixed. Plot is
>> attached.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Ben,
> The original bug was on Octave 3.2.2.
>
> I downloaded and built Octave 3.4.0,
> the current stable version.
> It also has the bug.
>
> Is downloading and building the developer's source
> that doesn't have the bug the same order of complexity
> to an unsophisticated user like me?
> If so, what 'developer's version' do I look for?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

I verified that the bug it not fixed in Octave 3.4.0.

However it has been fixed in the 3.4.x branch. You can download either the
stable and default branch by following the instructions at the link below.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

Be sure to scroll down to the "Development Sources" section. Once you have the
sources you'll need to run "./autogen.sh" from the source directory and then do
the same as for 3.4

Ben