Re: Problems with scatter3...mostly solved

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Problems with scatter3...mostly solved
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 01:38:37 -0500

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Terry Duell <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for that advice. I should have waited!
> I have managed to install the octave-forge rpm using 'rpm -i --nodeps...',
> but it left me with a lot of warnings from octave about functions in
> /usr/share/octave/packages/... that shadow core library functions. The only
> reasonable solution I could see for that was to go in and rename each of
> those functions to xxxx.m.old.
> The implications of installing octave-forge via rpm, or via packages as you
> suggest, with octave-3.4 is that there will be some incompatibility.

I would recommend purging all octave-forge rpms.
For one thing the octave-forge-2009 bundle is way too old for octave-3.4.

When you install  through "pkg ..." mechanism the packages get
recompiled against
your current octave so there should be no incompatibilities. True,
some octave-forge
packages may not have been updated for octave-3.4 and you would need to
deal with those on case-by-case basis. I do not believe there are too
many of those.

> Terry Duell

Sincerely,

Dmitri.