Re: Problems with scatter3...mostly solved

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Problems with scatter3...mostly solved
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 00:22:03 -0500

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Terry Duell <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have solved my problem with scatter3. After some fiddling I have managed
> to a fedora 14 rpm of octave-3.4 and installed that, and now scatter3 works
> as it should.

I presume you meant that you manged to install octave-3.4 rpm from the upcoming
Fedora 15.

> That has introduced a new problem, I can't install the octave-forge package.
> It baulks with the following message...
>
> octave-forge-20090607-17.fc14.x86_64 requires liboctinterp.so()(64bit)

octave-forge packages depends on octave version you have installed.
I believe there is no plan to provide a single octave-forge rpm in the future,
but rather to split it into individual packages.
I would suggest download the octave-forge packages directly from the
http://octave.sourceforge.net/ and installed them as described on
that page. Note,  this require having octave-devel rpm installed,
which might be problematic as well.

So my recommended procedure would be the following:

* get octave-3.4 source rpm from fedora rawhide
(e.g.

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/source/SRPMS/octave-3.4.0-6.fc15.src.rpm

)

* recompile it with "rpmbuild --rebuild octave-3.4.0-6.fc15.src.rpm"

* install the resulting octave-3.4 and octave-devel rpms.

* download and installed octave-forge package by using "pkg install
..." mechanism
(rather than rpms)

That works for me.

> Terry Duell