Re: Infinity symbol

From: Liam Groener
Subject: Re: Infinity symbol
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 17:14:38 -0700

On May 6, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Shivakumar Jolad wrote:

I tried on 3-2.4 version. Still it doesn't work.
I am running it on linux. Does that cause a problem?

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On May 6, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Andy Buckle wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Shivakumar Jolad <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am using octave 4.4 .  I have been trying to get infity symbol in legend
>> of one of my plots.  I can get greek characters \alpha ,\beta etc through
>> symbol or latex characters.  I cant get infinity through \infty or {/Symbol
>> /245}.
>> Can anyone please let me know how to get it?
>> thanks
>> Shiv
>
> Odd. mingw octave 3.2.4, legend('\infty') works. Sorry, that is not
> helpful. Could it be your font (wild guess)?

Works for me on MacOSX using gnuplot's x11 terminal as well. However, it does not work using Aquaterm.

Ben

My guess is that it's the font too. However, in Linux, is there a way to just type an infinity symbol in a text string. I use OS X, and like Ben title '\infty' doesn't work with Aquaterm. However, if I just type the infinity symbol (Option-5, ∞, in OS X) as part of the string, it does.