Re: "axis scale / dataspectratio" - problem with 3D-graph

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: "axis scale / dataspectratio" - problem with 3D-graph
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:29:08 -0500

2011/5/4 Clara Brück <address@hidden>:

>>2011/5/3 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso address@hidden
>>
>>> I'm using a portable version : Octave 3.0.0 whith QtOctave 0.7.2
>>
>> This is a very old Octave version. Are you unable to get a newer
>> version? I'm almost sure the solution I proposed above won't work on
>> an older version.
>
> I need a portable version,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a portable version of Octave? Where
did you find this very old 3.0.0 version? The graphics support was
very beta back then, but it's gotten better. Can we help you get a
newer version?

>> If you try axis([xlo,xhi,ylo,yhi,zlo,zli],"square"), do you get what
>> you want?
>
> Tried this:
>
> octave:5> axis([-8000,8000,0,8000,-8000,8000],"square")
>
> but the result is exactly the same (2D okay, 3D->"1/2egg") :(
> But I'dont want it to be a squere anyway.

Square doesn't mean that all axes will be the same length. It means
the projection deformation along each axis will be the same. I'm
almost sure this is what you want.

Can you show me the full code for making your ellipsoid? I can take a
screenshot with Octave 3.4 and square projection and show it to you.
If it's what you want, maybe we can work on getting a version of
Octave 3.4 that you can easily share with your students.

- Jordi G. H.