Re: Missing is_real_vector and is_real_matrix

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Missing is_real_vector and is_real_matrix
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 23:58:47 +0200

Am Dienstag, 3. Mai 2011, 23:33:55 schrieb Lukas Reichlin:
> On 03.05.2011, at 22:57, Thomas Reinemann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed octave yesterday and tried to use the tf function. But I
> > alway receive an error message like
> >
> > octave:3> sys = tf (n, d)
> > error: `is_real_vector' undefined near line 38 column 15
> > error: called from:
> > error:   /usr/share/octave/packages/control-2.0.1/@tfpoly/tfpoly.m at
> > line 35, column 7
> > error:   /usr/share/octave/packages/control-2.0.1/__vec2tfpoly__.m at
> > line 32, column 7
> > error:   /usr/share/octave/packages/control-2.0.1/@tf/tf.m at line 123,
> > column 5
> >

> > A search in the installation directory showed that the function is used
> > in many places. But there isn't a function which provides
> > is_real_vector. The same is true for is_real_matrix.
> >
> > Which package contains both functions?
> >
> > I use OpenSuse 11.2 and installed via the OpenSuse
> >
> > download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/openSUSE_11.2/
> >
> > repository.
> >
> > Thanks Tom
>
> Hi Tom
>
> The missing functions are oct-files and part of the control package.  Try
> to build and install the control package by octave itself rather than
> suse.  The octave command to accomplish this task is
>
> pkg install -forge control
>
> I don't know suse specifically, but on many linux flavors you need to
> install an extra package named octave-devel (or so) from the repository
> before you can compile your own oct-files.
>
> Regards,
> Lukas

On openSUSE the package needed is in fact called octave-devel, just to confirm.
The reason I asked if both octave and the control package are from the same
(science) repository is, if there is a bug in the rpm packages it should be
reported by Thomas to the science repository maintainers on the openSUSE build
service, otherwise the bug will remain there and not be solved.