Can't get vector arrow symbol to show up on plots

From: clustro
Subject: Can't get vector arrow symbol to show up on plots
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:18:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hello there,

I cannot get the vector arrow symbol (among other things) to appear in the
labels of my plots.

For example:

x = 1:10;
y = x.^2;
plot(x,y)
title('\vec{x}')

All that shows up in the title is "vecx", not an x with arrow over it.

I also cannot get bold fonts to appear. If I try:

title('\Sigma')

I get an uppercase Greek sigma letter. But, if I try:

title('\bf\Sigma')

Instead I get "/Verdana-bold <greek sigma>", where <greek sigma> is the
correctly-printed uppercase Greek sigma letter symbol.

I have tried:

"set(0,'defaulttextinterpreter','latex'", as well as 'tex' and 'none'

I have also tried:

"set(gca,'interpreter','latex')", as well as 'tex' and 'none.

What gives? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? :[

Thanks,

-Brad Ridder