Re: clf reset

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: clf reset
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 19:22:58 -0400

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Daryl Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
On 4/5/2011 4:22 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Daryl Lee  wrote:
I am trying to use Octave to learn Matlab, based on the online text

"Numerical Computing with Matlab", at
http://www.mathworks.com/moler/index_ncm.html.  That text provides a
"starter kit" of examples in a folder called "ncm".  Many of the examples
fail because they include lines consisting of "clf reset".  Octave pukes on
the lines, pointing to line 68 in its own clf.m file.

The simplest script I can think of to reproduce the error is:

figure(1);
clf reset;
fplot(@sin, [-10, 10]);

Without the "clf reset;" line, the graph result is as expected; with it, I
get an error and no graph.

The error report is:
error: `reset' undefined near line 68 column 5
error:  called from:
error:  C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\3.2.4\m\plot\clf.m at
       line 68, column 5
error:  d:\UNM\MatlabTut\trial02.m at line 2, column 1

My operating environment is Windows7-64, running Octave 3.2.4.

So far, this is the only problem I've encountered, but I've barely started.

Since I am a total newbie to Matlab/Octave, I'm sure this is something very
fundamental that I have missed.  Where should I be looking to see what that
might be?

--
Daryl Lee

what "help clf" produce ?
on octave 3.4.0, clf reset is available:

octave:2>  help clf
`clf' is a function from the file /usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/plot/clf.m

 -- Function File:  clf ()
 -- Function File:  clf ("reset")
 -- Function File:  clf (HFIG)
 -- Function File:  clf (HFIG, "reset")
     Clear the current figure window.  `clf' operates by deleting child
     graphics objects with visible handles (`handlevisibility' = on).
     If HFIG is specified operate on it instead of the current figure.
     If the optional argument `"reset"' is specified, all objects
     including those with hidden handles are deleted.

Regards
Marco

I get a similar response to "help clf".  And changing 'clf reset' in the three-line script above to 'clf("reset")' changes nothing--I still get the same error.

--
Daryl Lee

Daryl   -- you have octave 3.2  not 3.4

What you could try is just clf  -- not clf reset

Doug