Re: What does this error mean? [WAS: csvwrite text]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: What does this error mean? [WAS: csvwrite text]
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:04:15 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

senator wrote:
all my packages are indeed installed , I am copying and pasting the command
out of octave forge function file so it should work right?  but i am gettin
errors. I am going to copy the error report below.
it seems i have no excel support.. I am use Windows and I have excel 2007
and csvwrite works great for sending files to excels csv file

Let me know if you know what these errors mean:

arr=[23;34]
xlswrite ('test4.xls', 'arr', 'Third_sheet', 'C3:AB40');

command window output:

ncols=26
Creating file test4.xls
warning: No support for Excel .xls I/O
error: oct2xls unknown Excel .xls interface - NONE.
error: called from:
error:  C\Documents..........
error:C\Documnets.....line 2, column 1

thanks for still reading my messages

Where I wrote that:

Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Perhaps .... I vaguely remember reading something like that on the Mathworks
site or in comp.soft-sys.matlab, but I cannot find it now. I have no
MS-Office 2007 so I couldn't test it myself, but here's the very first
report about failure although the Excel support scripts for Octave exist for
over a year.

... it seems this is not due to the io package or MS-Excel 97, but rather due to Windows issues. I'm guessing you have Windows 7, don't you? (BTW is it 32 or 64 bit?)

See here for similar problems:
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2010-July/041542.html

It seems Microsoft silently changed something which broke ActiveX / COM support. Not only for Octave, but for that matter also for Matlab. I think TMW has fixed this now, but the (octave-forge) windows package might need an update as well.

Currently your only resort is Java based spreadsheet I/O.

Philip