Re: Octave 3.4.0 crashes silently on the latest cygwin 1.7.8

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.0 crashes silently on the latest cygwin 1.7.8
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 18:08:10 +0200

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM, George Barrick  wrote:

> Re: Octave 3.4.0 crashes silently on the latest cygwin 1.7.8
>
>                             2011.03.28.15:21:43 UT
>
> Hello octave users,
>
>    Like Pertti, I've been using octave in the
> cygwin environment, and have encountered the same
> silent error/crash.  I read Marco's comment that
> this can be attributed to a problem with the
> libgfortran3, and I have attempted to (temporarily)
> revert to libgfortran-4.3.4-3.
>
>    My own problem arises from the cygwin installer:
>
>          libgfortran3 has corrupt local copy.

not clear what you mean.

> I have gone into the install directory tree where
> the .gz files corresponding to the cygwin packages
> are located (different from where my local cygwin
> is actually installed).  I deleted _only_ the two
> copies:
>
>          libgfortran3-4.3.4-4.gz,
>          libgfortran3-4.3.4-3.gz,

the setup files stay in the "Local Package directory" tree and they should be:

libgfortran3-4.3.4-4.tar.bz2
libgfortran3-4.3.4-3.tar.bz2

Please check setup.log for any error message.

http://cygwin.com/docs.html

>    Also, if anyone has quick-fix instructions
> along the lines of: "Hey George, just chuck the
> whole tree of files from the install directory!",

that also works. Assuming that you means the "Local Package directory"
I suggest just to move it away, as safe backup ;-)